Secret Clearance Required
The Software Engineer position supports the maintenance and enhancement of Tactical Decision Aids, Team Trainers, and Modeling & Simulation systems used by US Navy personnel in the conduct and training for Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW). These software based systems are primarily written in C++ and java, and other legacy programming languages. Future enhancements will deliver these systems in a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), and employ web services extensively. The Software Engineers work closely with Systems Engineers, and ASW Subject Matter Experts to correct software deficiencies, develop new capabilities, maintain software baselines, and support integration into the Combat Systems used aboard Navy ships, submarines, aircraft, and shore facilities. The systems employ real time interfaces to SONAR sensors, and environmental data services to provide realistic sensor performance assessments in tactical applications, as well as simulations used for training. The work is fast paced and challenging, employing software solutions to model acoustic propagation under water, and solve for tactical optimization of sensor employment in the conduct of the ASW Mission.
1. Researches, designs, develops and/or modifies enterprise-wide systems and/or applications software.
2. Designs, develops, codes, tests and debugs highly complex new software products or makes significant enhancements to existing software.
3. Develops and applies advanced methods, theories, and research techniques in the investigation and solution of software applications and problems.
4. Resolves complex hardware/software compatibility and interface design considerations.
5. Conducts investigations and tests of considerable complexity.
6. Factors emerging technologies and product supportability into design and implementation.
7. Provides input to staff involved in writing and updating technical documentation such as user manuals, system documentation, and training materials.
8. Advises hardware engineers on machine characteristics that affect software systems, such as storage capacity, processing speed, and input/output requirements.
9. Participates in the generation of reports on analyses, findings, and project progress.
10. Serves as a customer interface to resolve problems and ensure requirements are met on a timely basis.
11. Provides guidance to less-experienced software developers, and may have supervisory responsibilities.
12. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
13. Participates in special projects as required.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
5-8 years of related software development experience.
A Bachelor's in Engineering, Math, Physical Sciences, Imaging/Digital Arts, or Computer Science and relevant experience in the design, development, and implementation of real time acoustic signal processing algorithms.
Practical experience in the development of parallel processing implementations, signal processing and real-time data analysis systems or visualization/simulation is a plus.
||Falls Church, VA
Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V